Smart city lighting and security
- Scalable security management of smart city networking based on 5G IoT/mMTC.
- Reduce energy consumption by automatically controlling the dimming intensity of the lighting system.
- Protect IoT infrastructures against cyber-attacks and thus enhancing the safety of our citizens.
- Enable large-scale deployment for IoT applications with highly scalable network monitoring and control, supporting 1 million devices per edge.
- Support scalable control of lighting poles with guaranteed performance by applying network slicing and related technologies.
- Support various security management tasks such as fire-walling, intrusion detection, intrusion prevention, service confinement, data leak prevention, and law enforcement, security-oriented network slicing, through traffic control rules.
- Enforcement of the traffic control by various devices, e.g., based on Open Virtual Switch (OVS) with UWS patches or UWS Flow Control Agent.
- Ability to deal with a scenario where over a quarter of a million emulated NB-IoT devices sending traffic simultaneously through one OVS machine and over a quarter of million firewall rules being installed.
- Deployed 50+ lighting poles in a University Campus in Bucharest, in collaboration with Orange in the EU 5G SliceNet project.
P. Salva, J. M. Alcaraz Calero, Q. Wang, J. B. Bernabe and A. Skarmeta, “5G NB-IoT: Efficient Network Traffic Filtering for Multi-Tenant IoT Cellular Networks”, Security and Communication Networks, Volume 2018, Article ID 9291506, 21 pages. Accepted 19 November 2018; Published 10 December 2018.(doi: 10.1155/2018/9291506 for free full text downloading too)
A. Matencio Escolar, J. Alcaraz Calero, and Q. Wang, “Highly-Scalable Software Firewall Supporting One Million Rules for 5G NB-IoT Networks”, Proc. IEEE ICC 2020, Dublin, Ireland, June 2020.