- Portable, cost-effective, fast with high accuracy object detection solution to detect tiny sized human objects from up to 150 meters away, designed and run in a cost-efficient commercial-off-the-shelf smartphone using Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs).
- Capabilities of detecting and/or recognising objects from the air using UAVs, applicable to Search and Rescue operations, surveillance, border control, seashore monitoring, agriculture, environmental protection and so on.
- Speed up the highly time-consuming process of tracing and tracking missing people in rural areas to save lives in the wildness.
- Assist the police to finding missing people in Search and Rescue operations (SAR) in adverse conditions.
- In collaboration with Thales UK, CENSIS and Police Scotland.
- Reported by BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-50262650
- I. Martinez-Alpiste, P. Casaseca-de-la-Higuera, J. Alcaraz-Calero, C. Grecos, and Q. Wang, “Smartphone-Based Object Recognition with Embedded Machine Learning Intelligence for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle”, Journal of Field Robotics, in press (accepted), Nov 2019. (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/rob.21921)